Legacy Collective is a North York-based senior engagement initiative. Partnered with North York Arts and Neighbourhood Arts Network and supported by the Government of Ontario, the group celebrates creativity and wisdom through peer-to-peer learning, storytelling, and art-making. The members, which are made up of individuals with diverse backgrounds and languages, participate in activities that seek to break down barriers of social isolation and depression by using the arts as a tool to foster a network of community support.
Join Legacy Collective!
Join the Legacy Collective, a seniors group, every Friday for a fun morning of art-making, storytelling, and celebrate creativity and wisdom through peer-to-peer learning. The Legacy Collective is a North York-based senior lead initiative in partnership with North York Arts.
9:30am to 10am – Coffee and snacks
10am to 1pm – Art Workshops and activities
Address: North York Community House, 505 Lawrence Ave W, North York, ON M6A 1A3
ALL WELCOME, NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
For questions and inquiries:
Cecilia Garcia – Phone: 416-733-9388 ext 7067
Cecilia Acevedo – What’s App: 647-892-7596
- 2016NYA received funds from Ontario’s Senior Community Capacity Grant to run various arts programming in support of Legacy Collective
- 2016Legacy Collective participants had the opportunity to sell their artwork at the Cultural Hotspot closing party
- 2017With funds from the Ontario’s Seniors Community Grant and the My City My Six 150 project, NYA was able to run “Stitching Stories,” a program where participants worked alongside artists Paola Gomez and Dana Prieto to tell their stories and explore themes of identity using textiles
- 2017The artwork from “Stitching Stories” was showcased at The North York Community House
- 2017NYA developed volunteer opportunities for Legacy Collective participants to lead knitting circles for newcomer women
- 2017Legacy Collective participants had the opportunity to sell their artwork at NYA’s Sunday Serenades
- 2018With funds from Ontario’s Multicultural Community Capacity Grant, NYA is currently running leadership training workshops with Legacy Collective
Legacy Collective Community Impact:
- 30 seniors participated in programming
- Participants engaged in social activities related to the arts (including private artist talks and gallery tours)
- Created opportunities for participants to showcase and sell their work
- Created volunteer opportunities to senior participants and a paid program coordinator role
- Built opportunities with newcomer artists (spanish speaking) to provide programming in participants’ first language
- Built connections within the wider community to reduce sense of isolation and exclusion
North York Arts (NYA) collaborates with artists, arts organizations, and partners to develop, strengthen, and promote cultural programming and initiatives for North York communities
North York Arts
5040 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON, M2N 6R8
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
Join Our Network