Art Connects is a cultural competency training program for NYA Staff board, and community partners. The program has addressed how North York Arts can better incorporate/adapt to some of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Throughout this program, we have asked ourselves: As a non-Indigenous organization, what can we do to support the process of decolonization and build right relations with Indigenous communities?
The program was done in two phases:
1. A series of consultations between NYA staff and board, an Elder and Indigenous leaders
2. Community conferences with other arts organizations to share NYA’s findings and discuss our role as a sector.
Program Consultants :
- Sep 2019NYA received funds from the Government of Canada’s Community Support, Multiculturalism, and Anit-Rascism Initatives Program
- Oct 2019NYA staff have their first consultation with Elder Joanne and Indigenous leaders Veronica and Aqua.
- Dec 2019NYA staff have their second consultation to discuss action steps
- Jan 2020NYA board meets with Elder Joanne to discuss the role of the board in making change
- Jan 2020 NYA hosts a community Consultation with our sister Local Arts Service Organizations (LASO)
- Feb 2020NYA partners with PAONE to host a second community consultation
- Apr 2020NYA Staff participate in Medicine Wheel teaching
- May 2020Program evaluation by Maria Montejo
Art Connects Outcomes:
- An organizational commitment to authenticity, education, and balance
- Development of a new land acknowledgment
- Recieved funds to develop our Community Mapping Project
- Plans to write an evirornmental policy
- Shared knowledge and understanding within the arts sector
North York Arts (NYA) collaborates with artists, arts organizations, and partners to develop, strengthen, and promote cultural programming and initiatives for North York communities
North York Arts
5040 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON, M2N 6R8
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
Join Our Network